These toasted nori strips are irresistible, especially to kids! They are crispy and slightly sweet with a hint of salt. You won’t be able to stop at just one! They are ready in 10 minutes and make a perfect after-school snack.
Seaweed is super nutritious as it contains protein, fibre, Vitamin A, Vitamin C and loads of iodine. Iodine is an essential component of thyroid hormone which regulates the body’s metabolic rate. A deficiency can lead to hypothyroidism and goitre (an enlargement of the thyroid gland). Kids who have iodine deficiency may have poor gross motor skills, hearing problems, lower IQ’s, and a greater incidence of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Iodine deficiency is a significant public health issue here in Australia. A study in 2006 found Australian children were borderline iodine deficient.(1) Pregnant women have also been found to be mildly iodine deficient.(2) The soil in Australia and New Zealand is naturally low in iodine and there is a reduced level of iodine in milk due to the reduction in use of iodine in the sterilisation of milking equipment in the dairy industry. In addition, only 10% of households in Australia have been found to use iodized salt.
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons liquid palm sugar + extra for drizzling
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt + extra for sprinkling
- 1 bag (10 sheets) yaki nori for sushi
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 180C degrees (350F)
- In a small bowl, stir together sesame oil, coconut oil, rice vinegar, palm sugar, and salt
- Cut nori sheets in half crosswise and then cut each half into fifths like this:
- Place nori strips in rows onto large baking sheet and brush liquid mixture over strips with a basting brush.
- Place in oven for 3 minutes until nori has turned dark green. Be careful as it can burn easily. Some of the strips will curl up.
- Remove from oven and place on a plate. Drizzle with additional liquid palm sugar and sprinkle with sesame seeds and a pinch of salt.
Make 100 strips. Serves 4-6